That vacant expression worn by everyone travelling on a crowded subway train.
- Eye contact is prohibited.
- Earphones are compulsory.
- Facial expressions are not recommended.
- Personal space is limited.
- When in doubt, stare at the list of stations on the side of the train.
- Make no acknowledgement of any new entrants, ever.
- When in doubt, look at your shoes.
Imagine if we spoke to each other on the subway? Introduced ourselves to new people?
Imagine if we smiled on the subway?
Imagine if we sang on the subway?
Would the world not be a slightly better place?
I guess we will never know, because we have already perfected our ‘subway face’.